Housing a bunch of popular student destinations like Germany, Poland, Netherlands, Finland; Europe is a perfect place for pursuing international higher education. Do you know European universities offer education at a much more affordable rate in comparison to USA, UK or even Canada in some cases? Despite that, these universities also offer excellent scholarships, fellowships and other financial aids to international students. Read this blog to know more about these scholarships in Europe.
This Blog Includes:
- 100+ Scholarships in Europe
- Scholarships to Study in Germany
- Scholarships to Study in France
- Scholarships to Study in Italy
- Scholarships to Study in Netherlands
- Scholarships to Study in Ireland
- Scholarships to Study in Belgium
- Scholarships to Study in Switzerland
- Scholarships to Study in Norway
Must Read: Unique Courses to Study in Europe
100+ Scholarships in Europe
You may qualify for a scholarship if you’re an aspiring international student seeking to pursue a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in Europe. Following are the scholarships to study anywhere in Europe-
To Study Anywhere in Europe
- Educations.com Scholarship to Study a Master’s in Europe: Scholarship for the fall of 2023, all international students pursuing a master’s degree at any European university are eligible to apply for a scholarship of €5,000.
- Level: Master’s
- Eligibility: All international students pursuing a master’s degree at any European university are eligible.
- Award: €5,000
- Deadline: 15 May 2023
- Erasmus scholarship: Initiative taken by the European Commission to offer financial aid to students from around the world who wish to study at particular institutions in Europe.
- Level: UG
- Eligibility: Must have a bachelor’s degree (first degree) or be in your last year of bachelor studies and graduate before the master’s programme starts.
- Award: a monthly allowance and travel costs up to a total of 49,000 euros for the entire 2-year programme.
- Deadline: 6th January 2023
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship: A student who is presently enrolled as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student in the UK or any other country in the European Union (EU) is eligible to win a $2,000 award. All nationalities may apply for the scholarship, but you must submit an essay.
- Level: UG and PG
- Eligibility: All nationalities may apply for the scholarship, but you must submit an essay.
- Award: $2,000
- Deadline: NA
- Rutherford International Fellowship Program: The Rutherford International Fellowship is a post-doctoral fellowship program that brings together top-tier researchers to avail of its facilities. It is part-funded by the European Commission, through the Marie Skodowska-Curie COFUND scheme. Along with providing a high-class research environment, The program also offers researchers training opportunities via workshops, conferences, and learning activities.
- Level: Phd
- Eligibility: PhD 4 years or equivalent Research Experience
- Award: GBP 2500 annually (INR 2.33 lacs)
- Deadline: 04 August 2022
Scholarships to Study in UK
- Chevening Scholarship: The Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office and affiliated organisations provide funding for the Chevening Scholarships, which are given to candidates who have shown they have leadership potential and have outstanding academic credentials. The scholarship offers access to a variety of rare academic, professional, and cultural opportunities, as well as full financial support for any eligible master’s degree at any UK university.
- Level: Masters
- Eligibility: Applicant must have obtained an undergraduate degree. Must have at least 2 years of work experience (the equivalent of 2800 hours).
- Award: £18,000 (INR 18.59 Lakh) which covers tuition fees, living costs, travel and visa expenses.
- Deadline: 1 November 2022
- GREAT Scholarship 2023: The Great Britain Campaign of the British Government, the British Council, and the participating British higher education institutions together sponsor GREAT Scholarships.
- Level: UG and PG
- Be an Indian citizen.
- Have an undergraduate degree which will allow you to enter a postgraduate (teaching) program at a university in the UK.
- Aiming to pursue a postgraduate degree at a UK university
- Active on the ground with proven work experience or interest in the field.
- Award: GBP 10K (INR 9.3 Lakhs)
- Deadline: May 2023
- Cambridge Trust Scholarship: International students can pursue their undergraduate or graduate studies at Cambridge University with the aid of the Cambridge Trust grant. The Cambridge Trust Scholarship is funded by Cambridge Commonwealth, European & International Trust. Over 400 scholarship and award applications are processed annually on a rolling basis beginning in March and running through the end of July. Both undergraduate and graduate study levels are covered under the scholarship. The scholarship offers possibilities to those who need them in order to support education for deserving students all over the world. Regardless of nationality, applicants from all around the world can apply for the scholarship.
- Level: UG/PG
- Students must be intending to start a degree at an undergraduate, master’s (LLM, MPhil) or research postgraduate level (PhD) from the University of Cambridge.
- The candidate must have a strong academic record.
- The candidate must have significant financial needs and provide evidence for the need for financial assistance.
- Award: The Cambridge Trust Scholarship covers the tuition fees of the UG/PG program and is offered annually (one-time). However, the scholarship doesn’t provide full-cost scholarships for MBA or MFin programs.
- Deadline: UG- October; PG- December, January2
- Commonwealth Scholarship: The commonwealth scholarship was established in 1959 at the first Commonwealth education conference. The scholarship is awarded to students belonging to the 53 commonwealth countries who are planning to pursue their master’s or doctorate from the UK. The Scholarship is funded by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), a body that works under the government of UK. The CSC funds 800 scholarships every year for students who are planning to pursue their master’s in a field specified by this programme.
- Level: PG/Phd
- Be a permanent resident in an eligible commonwealth country
- Hold an Honours degree or Masters’s degree by September 2022
- Award: Stipend under Commonwealth and fellowship plan is £1,000 (INR 92,000) every month. Furthermore, a thesis grant is also provided.
- Deadline: November 2022
- Hornby Scholarship: This renowned Hornby scholarship was founded in 1961 by the famous English Language teacher, A.S Hornby who is widely known for the development of the Oxford Advanced Learners’ Dictionary. The main vision of this scholarship is to raise the standard of English Language teaching across the world and support senior teachers, trainers, supervisors, and writers.
- Level: PG
- Eligibility: The applicant must have full-time teaching or training experience of 5 years in the English language. The applicant must have an undergraduate degree equivalent to the same degree in the United Kingdom. They should also be involved in some developmental work as a trainer or manager.
- Award: Up to £1 million (9 crore) across 3 years.
- Deadline: Nov, 2022
- Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarship: Based in New Delhi, Oxford and Cambridge Society of India is a non-profit organization run combinedly run by the alumni of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. The organization aims to provide scholarship for the students willing to attain education at the prestigious University of Oxford and University of Cambridge. The scholarship is available for select courses at the undergraduate, graduate and research level.
- Level: PG
- Eligibility: The candidate must be a citizen of India. The candidate must be below 30 years of age on September 1 of the year of application. Candidates applying for their first undergraduate degree with the Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarship must have completed their primary and secondary education from an Indian school. If you are opting for a second undergraduate degree or a master’s course, you must have completed your graduation from an Indian university. Candidates must have applied and secured admission under either of the two universities (Oxford and Cambridge) in a full-time course.
- Award: INR 1,00,000
- Deadline: May 31, 2023
- Felix Scholarship: The Felix Scholarship aims to provide the underprivileged students of India and other developing countries with equal educational opportunities to continue their postgraduate education in a university in the United Kingdom. The scheme helps students explore and indulge in cultures, experience, and academics which won’t be fulfilled otherwise.
- Level: PG
- Eligibility: The candidate must be of Indian nationality. The applicants must be below the age of 30 years. The applicant must not be currently residing or studying outside India. Underprivileged applicants must apply for a full-time postgraduate program with any one of the partner universities. The applicant must have a first-class undergraduate degree from a recognized Indian university. Applicants who already hold a master’s degree are not eligible for the Felix Scholarships. Applicants must return to work in their home country after the completion of studies.
- Award: £16,164 (INR 15 lakhs)
- Deadline: January 31st
Now that you have gone through a list of scholarships available to study in various countries of Europe, let us take a detailed look at what all these scholarships entail.
Must Read: Popular MCM Scholarships
- Education Future International Scholarship: Next on the list of our scholarships in Europe is the one offered by Education Future. The education future International scholarship aims to empower applicants looking forward to seeking bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the European Union. Candidates are free to choose the course of their choice for which they will be provided partial funding for the tuition fee between INR 2-10 Lakh. Under the scheme, it is mandatory for students to pursue overseas education.
Must Read: LGBTQ Scholarships
- Mobility Seeker Outdoor Sports Scholarship: This partially funded scholarship offered by the Mobility Seeker group can be your gateway for your dream education at European universities. Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD along with higher and secondary schooling can be covered under this scholarship. Partial funding of US $ 2,000. (INR ) will be provided to the selected applicants. Unlike other scholarships, this one allows candidates to pursue any course of their choice.
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarships: Open to students of all nationalities, the Erasmus Mundus joint masters degree scholarship is a fully funded scheme for the international students offered by the European Commission. Named amongst the best scholarships in Europe, this scheme lets the candidate pursue Masters as well as PhD courses. Complete tuition fees, insurance, transportation along with other essential costs will be covered for the candidates for studying programs in Erasmus+ program partner countries.
Must Read: Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarships to Study in Germany
- DAAD Scholarship Programs: DAAD Scholarship (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) is the most popular scholarship for students who want to get admission in a full-time course at a university in Germany. To apply for the scholarship, candidates must be graduates with two years of work experience.
- Level: (PhD) / Masters
- Candidates hold a master’s degree or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (typically a four-year programme).
- Candidates have a minimum of two years’ worth of work experience.
- After receiving their training or scholarship, candidates are expected to assume social responsibility, start and support change processes in their personal and professional environments, and demonstrate that their motivation is development-related.
- German or English are required languages.
- The instruction language for foreign programmes is English. You are typically required to present a TOEFL or IELTS score as proof of your English language proficiency.
- German is used as the instruction language for other programmes. Typically, you must provide a German language certificate, such as the DSH or TestDaF.
- Award: The stipend offered by the DAAD scholarship is €850 (INR 69,000) per month for postgraduate students and it is €1,200 (INR 98,000) every month for doctoral students.
- Deadline: December 2022
- Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships: Heinrich Böll Foundation awards are awarded to 1,200 scholars every year. Candidates who wish to study in Germany irrespective of the entry level or course can apply for the scholarship. Candidates who want to undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degrees in any subject are eligible.
- Level: UG/PG/Phd
- English is a required language.
- All nations in the world are eligible.
- The main requirements for student scholarships
- 1- Very strong academic record at high school, college, or university
- 2- Political interest and social responsibility
- 3 strong arguments to support your application to the Heinrich Böll Foundation
- The main requirements for doctoral scholarships
- 1 Very strong academic record in both high school and college
- 2- A compelling research proposal (exposé, original path of inquiry, realistic timeframe, advanced stage of preliminary work)
- 3- Political interest and social responsibility
- Award: International students in their master’s degree will receive €850 (INR 69,000) per month while PhD students from non-EU nations will receive €1200 (INR 98,000) per month.
- Deadline: March 01, 2022 / September 01, 2022
- Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships: Students interested in studying PG or doctoral programmes in Germany can apply for this scholarship in an array of subjects.
- Level: PG/Phd
- German and English are required languages. possess a solid command of the German language (B2-level),
- All nations in the world are eligible.
- Possess a university degree because the programme does not fund bachelor’s courses,
- Demonstrate superior academic performance,
- When applying, you must be no older than 30.
- Plan to enrol in a German institution for a minimum of three semesters, support democracy and human rights,
- Additionally, they have already participated actively in society and charity work in their home countries.
- Award: Postgraduate students are given an amount of €850 (INR 69,000) monthly for two years while PhD candidates are awarded a monthly amount of €1,100 (INR 90,000) for three years.
- Deadline: July 2022
- German Chancellor Scholarship: Through the German Chancellor Fellowship, students get an opportunity to conduct research that contributes to the development of society and the global community. Students who are considered eligible get an opportunity to conduct research for one year with a host/mentor associated with a private or public institution in Germany.
- Level: PG
- Eligibility: To be eligible for receiving the German Chancellor Fellowship awarded by Alexander Von Humboldt Organisation, candidates must meet the eligibility criteria as specified by the trust organisation. Applicants can be from any industry as long as they have a desire to work on any self sustaining project. We have mentioned the eligibility criteria below:
- Candidates of these nationalities- India, China, Brazil, Russia, South Africa or the USA can apply. Applicants from any discipline can apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants must hold an undergrad degree from an accredited university in a relevant field. Applicants must hold interest in fields of politics, media, business, society, culture or administration.
- Applicants must prove proficiency in German or English.
- Award: Fellowship awards an amount of 1.8 Lacs, 2.3 Lacs, 2.4 Lacs per month, based on the level of training.
- Deadline: 15th October 2022
Read: Scholarships in Germany
Scholarships to Study in France
- Amba- Dalmia Scholarship Programme: The Amba Dalmia scholarship is meant for Indian women who wish to pursue higher studies in performing arts and fine arts. It is open to candidates who wish to pursue a short course in performing arts or an internship in a related field. The minimum age requirement is 18 years and the scholarship covers the cost of living in France for a year.
- Raman Charpak Scholarship: The Raman Charpak Scholarship is offered by the Indian government and the Embassy of France. It is named after the renowned French Physicist Georges Charpak and Professor C.V. Raman, Indian Nobel Laureate. It is offered to undergraduate and graduate-level students enrolled in the following programmes like Atmospheric Sciences, Materials Sciences, Earth Sciences and more.
- Shikhar Thales Scholarship programme: The Shikhar Thales Scholarship Programme is offered to Indian students who wish to pursue a master’s degree level programme in France. The scholarships for students who want to study in areas like Aerospace, Artificial Intelligence and Communication and Control systems. The scholarship awards 700 euros per month and provides financial support for accommodation and visa.
Check out: Scholarships in France
Scholarships to Study in Italy
- Scuola Normale Superiore PhD Scholarships: The Scuola Normale Superiore scholarship is a fully-funded PhD scholarship for international and Italian PhD candidates enrolled in the university. It is available for fields like science and social science.It covers tuition fees, accommodation, funding for research studies. To be eligible for this Scholarship, the candidate should have obtained their master’s degree in the relevant field.
- Bocconi Merit and International Awards: Next on our list of scholarships in Europe is Bocconi Merit and International awards. Bocconi Merit and International Awards is for students applying to undergraduate or graduate programmes at Bocconi University. Selected candidates selected for international awards get a 50% tuition fee waiver. Candidates selected for the Bocconi Merit award will receive a full tuition fee waiver along with accommodation facilities for selected students. The scholarships are renewed on the basis of academic performance.
- Italian Government Scholarship Program for Foreign Students: Italian Government Scholarship Program for Foreign Students is offered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) to non-resident foreign citizens (students) in Italy to encourage international cultural, scientific and technological cooperation, promoting the Italian language and culture. The scholarship covers full or partial tuition fees, enrollment fees, offers a monthly allowance of € 900, health and medical insurance depending on the course.
Must Read: Scholarships in Italy
Scholarships to Study in Netherlands
- Holland Scholarship: The Holland Scholarship is provided to international students who wish to pursue their bachelors or masters in the Netherlands. The scholarship program is granted by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science as well as several Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. It grants € 5,000 (INR 4,50,145) during your first year.
- Orange Tulip Scholarship: As one of the scholarships in Europe, the Orange Tulip Scholarship provides financial assistance to meritorious students who wish to pursue their higher education in the Netherlands. The Scholarship amount varies between 25% up to 100% in tuition fees depending upon the sponsor and some offer living costs and visa fee waivers.
- TU Delft Excellence Scholarships: Amongst the most popular scholarships in Europe, TU Delft Excellence scholarship is offered by the TU Delft University in the Netherlands to international students. The scholarships aim to invite students from around the world to study at the university with financial aid. It is awarded to highly meritorious students and covers tuition fees, allowance, accommodation etc.
Must Read: Scholarships in the Netherlands
Scholarships to Study in Ireland
- The Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship: The Government of Ireland International Education Scholarship is granted for 1-year study at Bachelors, Masters or PhD levels, with a stipend of €10,000. There are 60 in total and, meant for Irish universities. Additionally, it also provides fully-funded tuition and covers other registration costs at the higher education institution.
- The Walsh Fellowship: This scholarship is awarded to 30 new students and provides a grant of €22,000 per student. The duration of two years for an MSc course and four years a maximum for a PhD program. This Fellowship programme is for postgraduate students only.
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship: Under this scholarship, a stipend of €16,000 per annum is provided to non-EU students. Additionally, contribution to fees, including non-EU fees, up to a maximum of €5,750 per annum. Students who are considered eligible under direct research are provided with additional expenses of €2,250 per annum
Scholarships to Study in Belgium
- Erasmus Scholarship: The Erasmus Scholarships is easily the most popular scholarship for Europe. It is awarded benefits candidates can secure a degree in fields like theoretical chemistry and computational modelling. The scholarship covers the entire tuition fee, insurance along other mandatory costs.
- VLIR-UOS Masters and Training Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who wish to pursue a Training or Master’s Programme related to development. This scholarship covers tuition fees, travel expenses, allowance and accommodation.
- The Government of Flanders Master Minds Scholarship: This Scholarship aims to promote the internationalization of Flemish Higher Education and grants 35 scholarships to outstanding Master students from all countries. The students are awarded a scholarship of a maximum of 7,500 Euro per academic year.
Also Read: More Scholarships to Study in Belgium
Scholarships to Study in Switzerland
- Swiss Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students: Swiss Excellence Scholarship is One of the most notable scholarships in Switzerland, this scholarship is provided in order to promote international exchange and research cooperation of the country with other countries. The Swiss Excellence Scholarships are offered to postgraduate researchers who wish to pursue their research in Switzerland at a doctoral or a post-doctoral level.
- ETH Zurich Excellence Scholarships: ETH Zurich Scholarships offers financial support to all the students pursuing master’s degrees at the institution. The university offers two scholarship programmes – Excellence Scholarship and Master Scholarship Program. While the Excellence Scholarship covers full study and living costs of the students, the Master Scholarship program provides a partial stipend to the students along with an apprenticeship offer.
- Graduate Institute Geneva Scholarships: The Graduate Institute invests a considerable amount of money as scholarships to attract students across the globe. The institute offers a number of scholarships in Switzerland as opportunities to all the students. It provides a full scholarship of CHF 20,000, a monthly scholarship (INR 16,51,687) of CHF 10,000 (INR 8,25,843).
Also Read: Scholarships to Study in Switzerland
Scholarships to Study in Norway
- Mobility Grant for Norwegian Language and Literature: This scholarship in Norway is specially designed for Master’s and PhD level students who are dedicating their dissertation to the Norwegian language and literature. Under this grant, you can travel, stay and study in Norway for 1-3 months for research purposes. The grant covers your accommodation, travel and living expenses in the country.
- BI Presidential Scholarship: Awarded to candidates with exceptional academic records, this scholarship in Europe is for all Master of Science students enrolled in the university. It is mandatory to have a grade A on the ECTS scale or equivalent to apply for this scholarship. It is mainly offered to the 3rd year MS students.
- The ERASMUS+ Grant: It is the most popular scholarship in Europe. ERASMUS grant covers up fees for tuition, registration, examinations and access to laboratory and library facilities at the host university. In addition to the study and research grants, it covers travelling expenses. The duration is 3-12 months for full-time courses whereas for training programs it is 2-12 months.
Must Read: Scholarships to Study in Norway
All European countries and third-party institutions offer full and partial scholarships to international students. Top countries like UK, Germany, France, Ireland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy and Belgium offer a number of full scholarships to help students fund their education.
A good application, stellar profile and guidance help you get a full scholarship in Europe.
To study in Europe, first, shortlist the countries you want to apply to, then select all the universities and visit their official websites. All universities have online applications you can fill out and apply to your favourite destination in Europe to study.
There are a number of ways to fund your education in Europe-
We hope that through this detailed blog, you are now familiar with some worthy scholarships in Europe. Are you interested in any of these scholarships? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts today and they will assist you with the application process. Follow us on on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram and LinkedIn.