The Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship program aims to help women pursue education, careers, and leadership roles in the field of business. The scholarship is offered by the Zonta International organization to all the women who are pursuing business and management courses at both master’s and bachelor’s levels. Since its inception in 1998 by Jane M Klausman, the scholarship has helped over 600 awardees in pursuing their goals and awards worth 1.5 million dollars. It is awarded to women undertaking business studies across the globe who have demonstrated outstanding potential in the field.
|Jane M Klausman (Member of Zonta Club, Club of Syracuse, New York, USA and the 1990-1995 Zonta International Parliamentarian)
|Women pursuing undergraduate and master’s degrees in business management
|Zonta Clubs in 32 Districts and 1 Region and at international Levels
|No.of Scholarships offered annually
|38 Scholarships annually(32 at district/region level and 6 international scholarships)
|– US$2,000 (INR 1,49,783) at district/regional level- US$8,000 (INR 5,99,134) at International level
|Total Scholarships offered till now
|Zonta has offered 640 scholarships to 492 women representing 58 countries, totaling more than US $1.5 million
This Blog Includes:
- About the Zonta International Organisation
- Eligibility for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
- When to Apply?
- Application Process
- Documents Required for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
- Selection Process for International Recipients
- Awards and Funding
About the Zonta International Organisation
The Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship is offered by Zonta International. It is an international organization of professionals empowering women through service and advocacy. They aim to advocate gender equality, end gender-based violence, end child marriage and expand access to education. This scholarship was started in 1998 by Jane M Klausman and since then has been trying to help women across the world overcome gender barriers, from schooling to boardroom, in the field of business.
Zonta International operates in 32 districts and these districts are further divided into areas for effective administration. Each area consists of Zonta clubs that help to carry out the aim and vision of the organization.
Eligibility for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
To be eligible for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship, it is necessary to meet the following requirements:
- This program is only for women. Women of any age can apply.
- Pursuing a business program from an accredited university/college/institute is a must. Business programs with a major field of specialisation in accounting, economics, finance, business management, marketing, operations management, human resources management, international business, or entrepreneurship is acceptable.
- Students demonstrating outstanding potential in their field and those who are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible.
- Students need to be enrolled in at least the second year of an undergraduate program through the final year of a Master’s program at the time of applying
- Students must be studying in school at the time funds for the scholarship are disbursed and must not graduate before December.
- If you are an online student enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute, you can also apply.
- Members of Golden Z Club, a club sponsored by Zonta International, can apply.
- You can reapply for the scholarship in the following year, provided you weren’t awarded the scholarship this year. However, no preferential consideration is given to the second application.
Who are not eligible for the Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship:
- Previous International Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship recipients cannot reapply for a second year.
- Classified members, i.e, club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta International cannot apply.
- employees of Zonta International and Zonta Foundation for Women cannot apply
- Family members of employees (ancestors, descendants, adoptees, siblings, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or cohabiting partner) cannot apply.
Note: that recipients are not permitted to defer this scholarship. Also, recipients can accept additional grants and scholarships from other sources.
When to Apply?
The deadline to apply for 2021 has passed but the general timetable for the application process for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship is as follows:
|Applications Submission to Local Club
|April/June(contact club for deadline)
|Selection of Club recipient and application is received by governor/regional representative
|August/deadline determined by the district
|Selection of District/region recipient application received by Zonta International Headquarters
|The official announcement of district/region and international recipients
Applicants are required to apply online through the official website. All application materials need to be submitted before the deadline to a local Zonta Club. You can locate a club nearest to you through the Club Locator on the official Zonta International website. You cannot apply to more than one Zonta district.
Applicants who live in geographical areas within a Zonta district/region where there are no clubs are eligible to apply for the district/region and international awards. You can submit your application through either email or regular mail. Email submission is preferred and those applications must be signed and sent as a PDF.
Documents Required for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
Along with the completed application form for Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship, the following documents need to be submitted. All non-English documents should be translated into English.
- 2 LORs (one from a faculty member in the major field of study and one from either an employer, volunteer supervisor, or academic advisor)
- An essay of 500 words describing your academic and professional goals. It should also include the relevance of the scholarship to your field of study and how it will help you achieve your goals.
- Must submit the Zonta International verification of current enrollment form signed by the university/college/institute registrar. Note that acceptance letters from university will not be accepted for verification of enrollment.
- Official detailed transcripts of academic grades from all universities/colleges/institutes attended.
- Current academic grades must be included.
Selection Process for International Recipients
- The evaluation committee of the local Zonta club goes through the applications and selects the club awardee.
- Applications that are selected by Zonta clubs are sent to their respective Zonta governor/regional representative.
- A district/region committee evaluates and selects one applicant per district/region and sends it to the Zonta International Headquarters.
- The scholarship committee selects six international recipients from the district/region applicants.
Awards and Funding
Annually, Zonta International awards 32 scholarships of US$ 2,000 (INR 1,49,757) each at the district/region level and six scholarships of US$8,000 (INR 5,99,134) each at the international level.
How does Zonta raise funds for this scholarship?
Investment income generated by the Klausman bequest and by generous contributions from Zontians, Zonta clubs, and friends of Zonta helps raise the required fund for the Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarship.
How can you use the scholarship funds?
- Funds from the scholarship can be used for any expenses that support the achievement of a degree in business.
- Funds can be used for tuition, fees and materials (books, supplies and equipment) required for the program of study. This is not taxable income.
- Funds that are used for living expenses or other non-qualified expenses are taxable.
If you are planning to study business in countries like the USA, Canada and UK then applying for the Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship is a must! Grab your opportunity by following Leverage Edu to find out the latest scholarships and grants to study abroad!